The Highest Peak in Samal Island: Puting Bato

11:44 PM



Back in the days when my mornings were evenings and my evenings were mornings, I struggled with my tough schedule, especially when I felt the urge to go to an adventure. Yes, it was the call center life for me but it did not stop me from living my life! If you have the same life that I had, and it keeps you from doing what you love, then it’s time for you to leave your comfort zone. Live the life you deserve! Travel. Go shopping. Try all the mouth-watering food in town. Treat yourself well. As for me, since I’m a bit of an adrenaline junkie, I always look for the go-to-places in my town where it takes less time to travel, affordable and has a picture-perfect view.


One of these places that can easily be reached from my city (Davao) is the Island Garden City of Samal. I know Samal is renowned for its white sand, crystal waters, giant clam sanctuary and other marine attractions but to my surprise, aside from the beautiful beaches this place could offer, it also boast a peak namely Mt. Puting Bato.

Mount Puting Bato is one of the famous tourist spots to explore in the island. It is nestled in Baranggay Guilon boasting of its soaring height of 1,345 ft above sea level. It is used as a training ground for those who want to climb Mt. Apo and other higher mountains. Basically, there are two different trails for you to reach the peak; the Guilon trail and Tayapok trail. The easier one is the Tayapoc Trail, which is highly-recommended for first time trekkers. From the jump off point to the peak, it only entails a short trek of 50 minutes which passes through an open path and lush highlands. However, Guilon Trail requires around 2 hours climb from the jump off region, passing by bushy grasses. We chose Guilon Trail since most of us were very daring and adventurous.

If you think it's an easy trek.. think again.








It was not an easy hike for us since we’re out of energy from our graveyard shift. We just kept on moving....until we saw the signage "This way to Puting Bato". It was then that our mood altered to joy! It was just enticing to reach the peak. 












A little walk, walk and walk and ……. Wow! We were dumbfounded! It was a picture-perfect view! We did not mind the long tiring journey because reaching the peak was all worth it. Our eyes can’t get over it! We rested for a while and just felt the awe-inspiring view. 
























We were here!!










Laden with colorful accurate illustrations of flora and fauna tell the story of the journey from start to finish. It made me fall in love more with the nature and it’s a perfect view to end the day.

HOW TO GET THERE:

From the heart of Davao City, take an Island City Express Bus which is bound for Samal then drop off at Peñaplata proper. From Penaplata, ride a motorcycle (habal-habal) and ask the driver to take you to Sitio Tayapoc which is the base site to get to Puting Bato. From Sitio Tayapoc, you can use the trail guides which you'll see posted on trees and it'll lead you to the top of the mountain.

You may also contact Arvie Kane Legaspe, an experienced trail guide,  @ 0933-857-3819 if you're not confident to go on your own.

Guide fee: 500/4 persons 


XOXO
Rothessa Jane Gonzaga




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook