Canyoneering Adventure to Kawasan, Cebu

6:30 AM




I still remember sitting on a chair in our humble abode when "Biyahe ni Drew" aired on GMA News TV featuring canyoneering in Badian, Cebu; in deep thought, I imagined doing it myself!

Last summer, I had another chance to visit the Queen City of the South. I did not waste the opportunity to try canyoneering. Canyoneering or canyoning is a recreational or should I say death-defying activity like trekking, jumping the cliffs, swimming and exploring canyons, or deep ravines between limestone rocks. It was one of the highlights during my Cebu trip.

Earlier plan was to do the canyoneering alone since my friend Cindy doesn’t know how to swim and she’s afraid of heights. We both agreed that she would just wait for me at Kawasan falls (end point of canyoneering).

We took a bus from MB's Sunrise View Resort located at Oslob going to Badian and there were only 4 passengers in it including us! Across us, were our new found friends Jeff and Jenny! (Hi Jeff and Jen! ). Upon hearing that they also wanted to do canyoning, without any hesitation, I established rapport (with a kind and a sweet voice I asked if I can join them). They had no choice, but to agree LOL! Jenny doesn’t know how to swim but very eager to try canyoneering so I encouraged Cindy to join us and convinced her that there’s a tour guide all throughout the way to help us. To make the story short, Cindy joined us! Yay!


For as low as 1200 php per head, we were able to experience canyoneering plus a bonus of Osmena peak excursion. The fee’s inclusions were the Habal Habal rides, a Helmet, Life-jacket, Aqua Shoes, Entrance fees and snacks! Yeah! I knew that  was so cheap compared to other tour packages. Thanks to Michael, our tour guide! 


Let the adventure begin...












The first jump took me almost 3 minutes to do. It was approximately 20 ft high! I know it will freak you out but you need to start the hard way! I was scared and at the same time I felt the thrill and excitement! (Safety tip: You need to be very attentive and always follow your tour guide’s instructions to avoid any accidents. Don’t hesitate to jump. Free your mind from negative thoughts. Smile and relax).  After my first jump, I felt the satisfaction and it all went well. So, I challenged myself again to try 50ft high cliff. My tour guide instructed me to stand straight while jumping so that the water pressure would not hurt me. I was too petrified to jump 50 ft, and upon jumping I forgot to straighten my body, instead I formed like a fetus inside the womb and the water surged into my butt and thigh! I was about to scream in agony because it really hurt, but I chose not to. 















The intense jumping, walking, swimming, took us almost 5 and a half hours to reach Kawasan Falls. There, you can see the highest jumping cliff about 70ft high! I told myself not to do it since my butt and thighs were still hurting from the previous jump. Minutes after I saw my new found friends Jenny and Jeff jumped, I changed my mind and tried it! When I jumped, I thought that I was near the water but I was wrong, I was still flying like a bird while I closed my eyes. I did not realize that I was already hugging my knees; I was so anxious which is why I landed in a wrong position where I almost passed out (It’s like seeing stars and my surroundings were getting darker). I relaxed for a moment, trying to ease the pain, good thing I wore a life-jacket. I was just floating for 5 minutes because I couldn’t bear the pain. My friend Jenny was injured too and there’s a lot of cuts and scrapes in her legs. It was not easy to jump a 70 ft. high cliff but it’s all worth it in the end.




     



After the dare-devil jump, the view of Kawasan falls caught my attention. It was a spectacular creation of God; I love the crystal clear turquoise water, the raft and the falls itself. It was a perfect way to end a jaunt. 






Testing my limitations and conquering my fears were the best achievements that ever happened to me on this trip. Indeed, it was a dream come true to try the breathtaking adrenaline pumping action canyoneering/canyoning! Now on to the next chapter of my wild and fun adventure! 

Here's the link of my canyoneering adventure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egTHPCmgLrE


XOXO,
Rothessa


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook